August 31. That's a wrap. Again
I can't say it enough how grateful I am to everyone who followed along and who supported this ride. Thank you! Thank you!
It was incredibly encouraging and very cool as each of you signed on.
I was able to pass my distance goal of 400 km. You all were able to pass my financial support goal of $500. And, even though there were days I didn't feel like doing it, I actually got my butt in the seat all 31 days of August.
Thank you for supporting this important cause. It's been a privilege to do this with all of you! Have an amazing Autumn season.
16C + 21km winds. In August. Weird weather.
Had to bundle up for the ride.
Didn't keep this bee from working though.
Well, once again, I've spent the month of August having to repair wheels on the bike ... specifically replacing tubes and tires. Since that seems to be the theme, one of my projects today was to change the wheels on the Fridge Door Live Theatre trailer. I'd put it off for some time.
This Summer marks 11 years with this puppy and I've gotten away without a spare wheel. The rims were well rusted. One tire had a slow leak and the tread was getting low. So, I bit the bullet and bought some new wheelies! So the trailer looks spiffy with new white rims.
The theatre company has gone through an evolution of transporting flats, lights, and props.
First it was with the Honda Element, making flats only 6' high so they could fit in with the seats down.
Then, my oldest brother provided us with a small utility trailer and my dad built a 4x4x8 plywood box to mount on it. I felt like we had moved up big time, and we had! I fastened FDLTC banners on each side. After a few years, that trailer was sold to someone that wanted to transport mini ponies or horses or something like that.
That was at the time we got a grant from Libro to buy this 12' trailer and it's done some serious travelling carrying some very heavy loads. And I don't bang my head, as much, on the roof.
Time flies when you have wheels!
Speaking of wheels, two more days left of the Cycle Challenge!
PHOTO 1: The first small wooden trailer.
PHOTO 2: Check the new wheelies on the present trailer.
Last Summer, I had planted several sunflower seeds and only had two grow. This year, I planted many throughout the gardens and not one grew. In late Spring, two sunflower plants sprung up in my raised planter box. This week, the flowers finally opened up. I have no idea how the seeds got in there but the one has reached the eaves of the house.
Tomatoes, beans and peas are all done for the year. The cukes keep on crawling and producing.